By: Ayana Session
There are many methods to protecting ones hair. One method that is growing in popularity is protective styling.
Protective styles are ones in which all, or most, of your hair is tucked away. This can be in styles such as buns, two strand twists, box braids or even wigs. The more your hair is touched and pulled, the more damage to your lovely locks. By wearing these styles, you will not have to brush your hair throughout the day either, which can be super harmful. The best brushing method is after washing and with a wide-tooth comb, which is much gentler.
Protective styles keep your hair intact. So if you want to get stronger and healthier hair, you may want to rock some of these looks.
Pros for Protective Styles
- Promotes hair growth, due to low manipulation and limited exposure to the elements. This is especially great if you are prone to split ends or dry hair.
- Time savers: styles such as box braids and wigs take almost no time after their installation.
- They are versatile: there are an immense amount of protective styles and many of them can be worn in new, creative ways. Try looking at beauty blogs and style websites for some awesome an easy inspiration.
Though there are many great reasons to wear your hair in a protective style, there are also a few things you need to keep in mind.
Cons for Protective Styles
- They can be harmful if not properly maintained. What this means is that people often wash or moisturize their hair less often than usual when wearing a protective style, which can lead to knotting, dryness and brittle hair. So make sure to detangle your hair after wearing it in these styles and do not forget to wash and condition your hair as well.
- Hair loss can also occur, especially when hair is braided or twisted too tightly. Both styles can pull at the scalp and ultimately lead to ripping, which in turn, can cause thinning, especially around the hair line. So when you wear these looks make sure they are comfortable on your head and not too tight.
Despite the cons, which can all be combated with proper care, protective styling can be a great option for many reasons. One important rule to live by is to treat your hair as you normally would, this means moisturizing regularly and shampooing as needed. I know the results will speak for themselves!