By: Madalyne Staab
Best Pre/Post-Workout Food for Optimal Fitness
- A good snack will help build muscle, your body recover, burn fat
PRE, around 30-60 minutes before the workout
- Carbs, both simple and complex, for plenty of energy: Whole wheat toast/pasta, whole grain cereals/oats and some fruits/veggies
- Protein, for your muscles; this is especially important for muscle recovery: yogurt, grilled chicken, protein powder
- Plenty of fluids: water is number one, but also energy drinks and even coffee
- Some quick ideas
- Apple and two tablespoons peanut butter
- Greek yogurt parfait, some fruit (like strawberries) and whole grain cereal
- Combine one cup iced coffee and some chocolate whey powder (protein powder)
- Some dried fruits with nuts
- Heartier meals: whole wheat toast with peanut butter and half a sliced banana on top, some grilled chicken and sweet potatoes or oatmeal with fruit
POST, important to restore energy and help your muscles recover faster, try to get in a good snack within 2 hours, the sooner the better, for optimal tissue repair.
Like pre-workout meals/snacks, post-workout food should also contain protein and carbs and not fats (unless healthy fats from nuts, like peanut butter) though you should keep the amount of fat low because it can slow down the digestion of carbs and protein (which is bad).
- Peanut butter, banana and chocolate milk shake (chocolate milk is one of the best things to drink post-workout)
- Protein bar, just make sure to check the sugar content!
- Half a medium bagel (whole wheat is best) and two egg whites, or peanut butter if you are ravenous
- Cereal, whole grains and low-fat or skim milk (or almond for more protein) is easy and yummy
- Pita with some hummus
- Egg and veggie scramble, add black beans for even more protein