For all you DIY-ers out there, here is your next project. It is perfect for your small or big, a season appropriate housewarming gift or simply something to liven up your own home. And plus it is super easy to make!
Here is what you will need:
A container– ceramic, tin or glass cups work great (mason jars are my personal favorite)
Wick– A pre-waxed wire is most common (you can pick these up at any craft store, but you can get six for two bucks at Joann’s)
Wax– Old candles, tea lights, or wax chips (If using old candles, you do not even need to add scents, but if using tea lights, make sure to remove all metal pieces and wicks)
Scent (optional)– Liquid scent and Scentsy both work fine
1. Start off by hot gluing the metal piece of the wick to the bottom of your container.
2. Next, put your wax in a microwave-safe container and heat it up until it is completely melted. A glass measuring cup works great since you will have to pour the wax into your candle container.
3. Once completely melted, let it cool for a few minutes and mix in your scent(s). If using a liquid scent then read the label on the bottle for the amount you should use for the desired size of your candle.
4. Let this new mixture set for a few more minutes and then pour it into your container.
5. Make sure your wick remains up right while pouring the wax in. Let it all cool completely. Air bubbles will probably rise to the top of the candle. If this happens just re-melt any leftover wax and place onto the holes and let cool.
6. Finally, trim the wick and boom you have your own personal candle with your favorite scent.
Candles are calming and can make your house or dorm smell amazing. They also make for great gifts, but they can also be expensive. But with a few cheap products and some free time you can make your own candle that is completely customized to you.